Monday, March 12, 2012

Theotokos: God-bearer / Theotokos: Madre de Dios

(En español abajo.)

For some time I have been meditating on the idea of Theotokos, the Greek word that describes Blessed Mother as God-bearer.  I'm talking months.  Everything from what it means for the Virgin Mary to have carried Jesus in her womb, to what it means for you and me to carry Jesus in our persons.

Well, on my Ash Wednesday retreat it did not take long for Danielle Rose to bring this topic up in her talk.  I am still processing the many images she brought up that morning, and I hope to some day share with you drawings of all those concepts.  But a few struck me right away and after being run through the mixer that is my head this is what I came up with.


What follows is a description of the image as much as the thoughts and experience that led to this it's creation. 

First thing of note here is the Rosary around the edges of the drawing.  I had never done this but, as I prepared to use drawing as prayer while we prayed the Rosary, I decided it would be too hard to hold on to a Rosary in my hand while I drew.  Instead I drew it along the edges of the blank page, intending to fill in the bubbles as we prayed.  This worked very well.  I know I will be doing this again.

The crown of thorns drawn at the cross and the Our Father on the third mystery were a spontaneous response to Danielle's music.  Instead of reading a meditation before each Mystery, Danielle played and sang her original compositions for each of the Mysteries.  Her song "The Crown of Thorns" still gives me chills every time I hear it.  I first drew a crown on the Our Father since I was filling in that bubble for that prayer, but when the song was not over and I was still very much moved and wanting to carry that through the drawing I searched for a way to continue that sentiment.  And that's what led me to doing the crown on the cross as well.

Earlier that morning Danielle spoke during her talk of the Blessed Mother being the spouse of the Holy Spirit and about Mother Mary giving flesh to Jesus' flesh.  In my mind I pictured Michaelangelo's painting on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel titled "The Creation of Adam".  You know the one where God's finger is an inch away from Adam as he gives Adam life?  Well, instead of Adam and God I imagined the Jesus and the Holy Spirit's fingers touching while Jesus was still in the womb.


(In English above.)

Llevo tiempo meditando sobre la idea de Theotokos, la palabra griega que describe a la Santísima Madre como la Madre de Dios  Meses.  Desde lo que quiere decir que la Virgen tuviera a Jesús en su vientre hasta lo que significa para ti y para mi tener a Jesús en nuestras personas.

Bueno, en mi retiro de Miércoles de Ceniza no tomó mucho tiempo para que Danielle Rose hablara de esto durante su conferencia.  Aún estoy procesando todas las imagenes de las que ella habló esa mañana y espero que algún día pueda comparti con ustedes dibujos de todos esos conceptos.  Pero algunos me llamaron la atención inmediatamente y luego de mesclarlas en mi cabeza esto es lo que se me ocurrió.


A continuación sigue una descripción de la imagen y de los pensamientos y experiencias que .me llevaron a su creación. 

Lo primero que debo explicar es el rosario a los bordes del dibujo.  Nunca había hecho esto pero, mientras me preparaba para orar con mi dibujo mientras hacíamos el rosario, decidí que sería muy difícil aguantar el rosario mientras dibujaba.  En vez dibujé el rosario a los bordes de la página en blanco, con la intención de llenarlas mientras resaba.  Esto funcionó muy bien.  Sé que volveré a rezar el rosario de este modo.

La corona de espinas dibujada en la cruz y en el Padre Nuestro del tercer misterio fueron en reacci´øn espontanea a la música de Danielle.  En vez de leer una meditaci´øn antes de cada misterio, Danielle tocó y canrtó composiciones originales para cada misterio.  SU canción "The Crown of Thorns" aún me para los pelos cuando la oigo.  Primero dibuje la corona de espinas en el Padre Nuestro ya que estaba llenando ese circulito al hacer el Padre Nuestro, pero aún no terminaba la canción y conmovido por la música quería continuar esa sensación en el resto del dibujo así que busqué cómo lograrlo.  Y fué así como llegue a hacer la corona de espinas en la cruz.

Esa mañana Danielle habló durante su charla sobre cómo la Virgen maría es la esposa espiritual del Espíritu Santo y como la carne de la virgen le dió carne a Jesús.  An mi mente vi la pintura de Miguel Ángel en el techo de la Capilla Sistina "La Creación de Adan".  ¿Conoces esa pintura donde Dios casi toca el dedo de Adan con el dedo de su mano cuando le está dando vida a Adan?  Bueno, en vez de Adan y Dios imagine los dedos de Jesús y el Espíritu Santo tocandose mientras Jesús estaba en el vientre.

No comments:

Post a Comment