Thursday, March 15, 2012

Resting in Jesus' Lap / Descansando en la falda de Jesús

(En español abajo.)
I love this image even 3 and a half years after I made it.  This is one dawing in a series of a dozen or so comic-style columns in the church bulletin.  I was looking for a good image to promote a retreat for high school students.  Nature and hiking were easy to settle on. Working in the phone, to which we have become so accustomed and dependent on took more convincing.

The last panel where the young man is resting comes from way back in my memory.  Not the image itself, but the idea of resting in Jesus.  I remember I must not have been a teenager yet when I would I wearily shared with my mom that I'd often fall asleep at night when praying the Rosary.  My mom simply responded that it wasn't a problem because it was like falling asleep on Mother Mary's lap.

Fast forward 15 years or so to after my dad had passed away, when praying the Our Father at Mass as soon as I started "Our Father who art in Heaven..." would lead me into a crying fit.  For moths this happened.  This prayer I had recited for decades became real to me in those painful days.

My dad was indeed now in heaven.  But those months after his passing the joy of this statement would elude me.  He was gone.  Taken away.

It must have been about six months after my dad passed away that I had a breakthrough while being led in an imagery prayer by Fr. Larry Searles, S.J. during an Exercises session.  There was a point in this meditation when Jesus was approaching me.  At first he was back-lit as he walked towards me so I only saw a silhouette.  As he got closer and I was able to discern his features, I was facing my dad.  I can't tell you if it was my dad and not Jesus or if Jesus took my dad's face so I'd feel comfortable in his presence.  All I know is that that day I called God "dad".  And believed it.  Believed that when I said "Our father who art in heaven..." He really was.  He really is.  I guess they both are.

From time to time I still encounter those old tears in my eyes when I pray the Our Father, but usually they come with joy now.  Joy and peace.  The kind of peace you might only feel when resting your head on your dad knowing that he's taking care of everything.

(In English above.)

Me encanta esta imagen, aún 3 años y medio desde que la hice.  Este es un dibujo en una serie de más o menos una decena de columnas del boletín de la iglesia hecha en estilo de comic book.  En aquel momento buscaba una buena imagen para promover un retiro para estudiantes de escuela superior.  No fue difícil decidir hacer algo con una caminata en la naturaleza. Integrar el teléfono, al que nos hemos acostumbrado y del que dependemos tanto requirió un poco de convencimiento.

El último panel donde el jovendescansa viene de viejos recesos en mi memoria.  No la imaen de por si, sino la idea de descansar en Jesús.  Recuerdo que ni tenía 13 añostodavía cuando un poco preocupado le comparto a mi mamá que a menudo me quedaba dormido mientras resaba el rosario.  Mami simplemente respondió que no era problema porque era como quedarme dormido en la falda de la Virgen María.

Unos 15 años más tarde después de que murió mi papá, cuando resaba el Padre Nuestro en la misa en cuanto comenzaba a decir "Padre Nuestro que estás en el cielo..." me llevaba a un llanto histerico.  Por meses pasó esto.  Esta oración que había recitdo por décadas se convirtióo en algo muy real para mi en esos d´âs tan dolorosos.

Papi estaba en el cielo.  Pero esos meses después de que murió la alegría de esa oración se me escapaba.  El estaba ido.  Me lo llevaron. 

Debe haber sido seis meses después de su muerte que tuve progreso mientras el padre Larry Searles, S.J. me dirigía en una meditación durante una sesión de los ejercicios.  Hubo un punto en la meditación en que Jesús se me acercaba.  Al pricipio estaba ilumidado de atrás mientras caminaba hacia mi así que o sólo veía una silueta.  A medida que se acercaba y podía yo discernir su rostro, estaba yo mirando a papi.  No te puedo decir si era mi papá y no Jesús o si Jesús tomó el rotro de mi padre para que yo me sintiera cómodo en su presencia.  Sólo se que ese día llamé a Dios "papi".  Y lo creí.  Craí que cuando decía "Padre Nuestro que estás en el cielo..." Él realmente lo estaba.  Él realmente lo está.  Creo que ambos están.


No comments:

Post a Comment