Tuesday, February 10, 2009

One has to start somewhere...

(En español abajo.)
I figure a good place to start this blog is with a portrait of Christ. I did this pen and ink drawing back in high school. It's all from my head, having used no reference. Back then I had not studied the human figure much, except from a few books, so I was mostly relying on intuition. What I still like about this drawing, the reason so many people like it, and the reason my mom still pulls it out for her students' to see during Lent every year is the expression. I guess knowing so little about anatomy back then, the sense of tender love in the midst of so much suffering was something that I could somehow relate to, connect to, and more importantly convey. I hope that somehow this image helps you discover an aspect of the person of Christ as it did for me.

(In English above.)
Me parece que un buen lugar para comenzar este blog es con un retrato de Cristo. Hice este dibujo en tinta cuando estudiaba en escuela superior, secundaria. Es de mimente sin uso de referencia alguna. En ese entonces no había estudiado mucho la figura humana, excepto en algunos libros, así que dependí mucho de mi intuición. Lo que todavía me gusta de este dibujo, la razón por la que muchas personas le gusta, y la razón por la que mi mamá lo saca todos los años para que sus estudiantes lo vean durante la Cuaresma es la expresión. Me imagino que sabiendo tan poco sobre anatomía en ese entonces, el sentido de amor cariñoso en medio de tanto sufrimiento era algo con lo que de alguna manera me podía relacionar, hacer conección, i más importante aún, comunicar. Espero que de alguna manera esta imagen le ayude a descubrir un aspecto de la persona de Cristo como lo hizo para mi.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Miguel :) Can't wait to see what else you post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Migue:
    I do remember when yoy did this, in fact I hold a copy of it. I pray for you, your lovely wife Sue and Mico, your son. Love you always.

    Uncle Fernando

    ReplyDelete